home About Us Homeless? News & Events Fundraising Honour Roll Contact
home home

Follow us:

© 2014 Maninplace, all rights reserved.  Registered charity: 1156100

About us
Bleak Midwinter

Success stories
Honour Roll

Tel: 01952 248248
Email: admin@maninplace.org.uk

Out of crisis comes community

On Friday the 9th of February our worst nightmare came into being when we were alerted to a serious fire at one of our buildings.

Throughout our history, we have worked hard to do as much as we can to prevent the spread of fire in our homes, and to reduce the risk of danger to our customers as a result of any outbreak of fire.

Fortunately, although the fire was a serious one, because of the swift action of customers, staff and the preventive measures in place, the fire was contained to one room and nobody suffered any injuries.  

We know this incident could have been so different without quick thinking and our protection measures.

Thank you to our customers

We would like to pay tribute to our customers who came together during a challenging experience, and supported each other to leave the building swiftly, ensuring everyone was accounted for, safe and uninjured.

This is the kind of community spirit encouraged by Maninplace in all of its houses.

It is important to emphasis the real dangers of fire, and we wouldn’t advise anyone to tackle any blaze, but to escape through their nearest exits and call 999.

Overwhelming support

With the help of our friends at the Shropshire Community Project, we reached out to the Telford community through social media asking for donations of kitchen items, appliances, food and financial donations for the purchase of specialised paint.

And you didn’t let us down!

Within two hours we received denotations of a new fridge and freezer, food and financial gifts.

Members of the public arrived to help with the clean up operation working alongside our staff, customers and some of the team from the Shropshire Community Project.  

After just 24 hours since the fire destroyed the kitchen, our team of amazing volunteers had ripped out all the damaged kitchen units and appliance, washed all the smoke damaged surfaces and disposed of all the rubbish.

Within 48 hours of the fire’s occurrence, the room had lost it’s fire damaged appearance and was beginning to look more like a normal redecoration site, with special primer being applied to all the walls and ceiling.

What’s next?

We have a great team of local trades persons who have already begun the next phase of work to return the space to a normal functioning kitchen ready for our customers to use.

The team of directors at Maninplace have made it their mission to have a fully functioning kitchen back in action before the end of the week, enabling our customers to return to their normal routines as soon as possible.

We could not have even considered this without the incredible support we have received from local partners, the general public, our fantastic team of staff and local trades who have all stepped in at short notice.

On behalf of everyone at Maninplace, and the customers who will benefit from the generosity and support given over the last few days, we wish to express our sincere thanks to you all.

Thank You.